An aspiring author confronts the literary demons of the world and sets off in search of an agent.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

More Haiku as Query Letters

In an earlier post, I looked over several haiku by Bashō, the famed Japanese poet of the Edo era, and tried to imagine which author might have used which haiku for one of their query letters. Here are a few more:


In my new clothing
I feel so different, I must
look like someone else                             
     (The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain)


With dewdrops dripping,
I wish somehow I could wash
this perishing world                                 
     (The Road by Cormac McCarthy)


Taking a nap,
Feet planted
Against a cool wall.                               
      (Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain)

Bright red
the pitiless sun
autumn winds                                           
     (Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury)

Lightning
clenched in the hand:
torchlight in the dark                                   
     (Frankenstein by Mary Shelley)


Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I am staggered again by your match-ups. These are spot-on and quite amusing, but Dandelion Wine is genius. Thank you!