An aspiring author confronts the literary demons of the world and sets off in search of an agent.

Friday, March 12, 2010

Reflections on a Rejection

I am never happy about a rejection…

However, I will give a tip of the hat to the agent who included the following in her form rejection letter: “I have to pass on many interesting projects due to time constraints (much like you have to choose only one or two books at a bookstore, even though there are a lot of good ones.)”

I have two reactions to this. First, I appreciate her wonderfully articulate statement on what it is like for the literary agent who reviews hundreds, if not thousands, of query letters. For an aspiring author, a seemingly small insight like this can be incredibly valuable.

Second, this is the first rejection I have received that has made me think, “I like the thoughtfulness of the response. If I happen write another manuscript that seems to match her interests, she’ll be one of the first agents I’ll query.”
Share/Bookmark

No comments: